Are Flush Vertical Tower Extrusions Required in Base?

Zorba

Are Flush Vertical Tower Extrusions Required in Base?

Post by Zorba » Sat May 06, 2017 11:04 am

I have a super quick anal retentive frame assembly question.

Is there any concern if the vertical tower extrusions are not 100% flush with the base? Would this have any impact on leveling down the road?

See below:
Tower_Base_Fit.jpg
I'm referring to the ~1-2mm aluminum bump near the rubber foot sticking up above the base. Granted, it is flush on the 'inside' of the base.

I noticed this while soldering the LEDs on top and would rather fix it now if it's any problem.

mhackney

Re: Are Flush Vertical Tower Extrusions Required in Base?

Post by mhackney » Sat May 06, 2017 11:44 am

No impact on leveling. But what I don't like is that the side closest got the camera is higher than the side farther away. this tells me the column is not plumb. It might not be a concern if you have to installed the top triangle yet but if you have check the towers with a large framing square if you have one - even a small square is better than nothing.

In general the ends are cut square but perhaps this one wasn't so check that to rule it out too.
www.SublimeLayers.com - Musings and Experiments on the Art and Technology of 3D Printing

Support me and my work at Patreon and get early access to my upcoming book 3D Printing Strategies - the art of perfecting your designs and prints

Zorba

Post by Zorba » Sat May 06, 2017 12:01 pm

I have indeed installed the top triangles and am working on tensioning the belts.

I don't have the best tools to with, but I have a level and used that; assuming its right angles are accurate then it appears I may have some slight lean in one vertical extrusion. When installing the top triangle I did have issues with one extrusion not lining up properly.

mhackney

Post by mhackney » Sat May 06, 2017 2:23 pm

And is that one extrusion the one that is photographed above?

I would think simply loosening the corner bracket screws top and bottom and let things "spring" into alignment should do it.
www.SublimeLayers.com - Musings and Experiments on the Art and Technology of 3D Printing

Support me and my work at Patreon and get early access to my upcoming book 3D Printing Strategies - the art of perfecting your designs and prints

UltiBots

Post by UltiBots » Sat May 06, 2017 3:09 pm

Tower extrusion as not precision cut by UltiBots. They come direct from OpenBuilds. Typically the towers all match in length but it is possible an end will not be cut cleanly at 90°.
Owner - UltiBots LLC

Alexander Mundy

Post by Alexander Mundy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:17 am

Spam alert

Tinsara

Post by Tinsara » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:08 am

I have indeed installed the top triangles and am working on tensioning the belts.