[Solved] MagBall knocked off - slicer issue

Aaron

[Solved] MagBall knocked off - slicer issue

Post by Aaron » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:59 am

I'm also having issues with my mag balls falling off. I've determined it's a symptom rather than a root cause. I'm almost certain my bed leveling is working correclty, however I've noticed my hotend scraping against parts and eventually the stress is too much and the hole assembly gives way.
Things I've done:
1. Calibrated esteps to compensate for over extrusion (currently at 930)
2. Trimmed down the e3d sock
3. Verified belt tension and carriage fall timing
4. Tap test to verify fsr
5. Using baby z steps (just discovered this today currently running at .25mm and I can still hear my hotend tap against the print. I'll play with it more)

If I print small and light a few candles I can usually walk out the door without hearing a crash. But, anything large tends to end in failure (that 25cm headless dragon on the FB page is mine)

Any other ideas?

UltiBots

Re: MagBall knocked off - reasons?

Post by UltiBots » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:24 am

MagBall separation is very part/filament dependent. Certain parts that have overhangs, circular voids, small structures, are prone to filament curling; especially PLA. When this happens the nozzle will contact the curl causing the MagBall to separate. The most effective remedy is adequate part cooling and Z lift.

Adding spectrum fishing line and a spring between the effector and carriages has been discussed in other DeltaBot forums. To date we are unaware of any UltiBots customer doing this. We have not tested this nor believe it is necessary. MagBall separation is rare and it is usually manageable.
Brad - UltiBots LLC

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:07 am

Like I said, the mag balls losing connection is just a symptom, I think the real problem I'm having (and maybe others) is the nozzle bumping into the print. The geometry of the parts hasn't been a huge factor, even the relatively flat psu t slot holder was having issues as the nozzle grinded through and eventually gave way. I've had two successful prints since implementing the baby z stepping (I'm at .3mm atm) if this ends up solving the problem I'll throw it in a macro and have it auto set before every print.

I'm working on a project with a lot of small parts, once that's finished I'll print something unnecessarily large as a test and report back.

Also, you mentioned leaving the technical discussions to the forum and trying to keep problems off the fb page, I'd suggest pinning a post to direct traffic here. Atm the fb page is just more active and better for a quick answer.

UltiBots

Post by UltiBots » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:50 pm

@Aaron - thanks for posting here. I agree with you FB is more convenient. Unfortunately FB doesn't have categories, advance search, organization, etc... Also, an issue affecting < 1% of kit owners might be perceived as a "big issue" on FB.

Did your nozzle drag when printing the "simple_print" included with the latest FW bundle? Are you running our latest FW?

Please post a gcode file that exhibits the issue for analysis/testing.
Brad - UltiBots LLC

UltiBots

Post by UltiBots » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:56 pm

Verify your FW matches...
Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 4.53.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 4.53.55 PM.png (35.05 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
Also, run G32 3 times, issue M500 to save the settings, and then power cycle the D300VS.
Brad - UltiBots LLC

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:51 am

FW checks out. I decided to try out the first_print that's bundled on the machine and watching very closely I noticed I was having similar issues. I can see that the nozzle is tapping the print hard enough to make an audible noise and enve activate the fsr. During travel movements the nozzle does hit and will sometimes catch the top layer.

I'm still getting decent small prints, but on taller objects lay degradation continues to build up and eventually there's enough to catch the nozzle and knock it off.

I did not notice the footnote on your last comment untill now. When I enter M500 after running auto cal, it saves it to the config file, right? But, if I just run a g32 before my prints, is my printer still using that new cal data for the current print?

UltiBots

Post by UltiBots » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:42 am

@Aaron - Please post hires photos of your top layer/prints (both successful and fails). I need to see "layer degradation" to understand why it is building up. Also, post a video link if possible.
When I enter M500 after running auto cal, it saves it to the config file, right? But, if I just run a g32 before my prints, is my printer still using that new cal data for the current print?
Yes, M500 saves autocal data to the config-override file. G32 run prior to the print will use the new autocal results.
Brad - UltiBots LLC

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:59 am

Okay, here is a video I took of a print trying to explain what's going on.

The video is unlisted on yt:
https://youtu.be/c-S9TPYtcdc

And an imgur album:
http://imgur.com/a/YxGxK

UltiBots

Post by UltiBots » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:45 am

@Aaron - I believe the slicer is causing the inner circle to pimple. The outer layers look nice. We have seen strange pauses in gcode before (posted by supomglol) on FB. Please post the gcode for analysis and testing.
Brad - UltiBots LLC

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:51 am

Okay, let me know if you see anything funny.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz8cX ... 3VsUElwN2s