Improving thermistor contact

dbbnrl

Improving thermistor contact

Post by dbbnrl » Mon May 01, 2017 2:22 pm

I noticed after I attached my kapton heater to the heat spreader that the thermistor did not actually make contact with the aluminum. Instead, the two clear/white insulating sleeves were holding it in the air just away from the surface. This series of photos documents what I did to fix the problem. First, I pulled the thermistor out, and carefully bent the wires at an angle as shown in the first photo. It is very important that the wires NOT make contact with the aluminum. The second photo shows how it looks back in position. I then applied a dab of heatsink compound beneath it and held it firmly in place with a large square of kapton tape, as seen in photos 3 and 4.

This is probably all obvious to experienced folks, but I thought it might be helpful to somebody.

mhackney

Re: Improving thermistor contact

Post by mhackney » Mon May 01, 2017 3:51 pm

That's the way to do it. There is plenty of thermal paste with the E3D V6 hot end kit and several strips of the supplied 1/4" Kapton will do just as well with provided materials. I'll try to squeeze this into the Build Guide, thanks!
www.SublimeLayers.com - Musings and Experiments on the Art and Technology of 3D Printing

Support me and my work at Patreon and get early access to my upcoming book 3D Printing Strategies - the art of perfecting your designs and prints

mhackney

Post by mhackney » Mon May 01, 2017 4:33 pm

I've added a new step (78) to the Build Guide to include this great tip. Thanks Dan!
www.SublimeLayers.com - Musings and Experiments on the Art and Technology of 3D Printing

Support me and my work at Patreon and get early access to my upcoming book 3D Printing Strategies - the art of perfecting your designs and prints

UltiBots

Post by UltiBots » Tue May 02, 2017 5:57 am

I like the use of the extra thermal paste. Thanks for the feedback... nice idea!
Brad - UltiBots LLC

mhackney

Post by mhackney » Tue May 02, 2017 9:20 am

Yeah, I went back and did this on 5 other deltas I have!

Ogg Vorbis

Post by Ogg Vorbis » Wed May 03, 2017 5:10 pm

This worked great for me. I was kind of worried that the thermistor wasn't making good contact with the bed, and when I took the temperature of the bed it was reaching 85-90c when I had it set to 70c. After doing this it's reading almost exactly 70c across the bed. Thanks.

mhackney

Post by mhackney » Wed May 03, 2017 6:30 pm

Great!