Spacer required for Titan Aero

wesc

Spacer required for Titan Aero

Post by wesc » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:57 pm

I believe you need a 3mm spacer for the Nema17 stepper to be secured properly with the screws that come with the Aero.

https://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/Titan_ ... ruder_Body

Here's a link to a spacer at thingiverse.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2440732

or the customizable one I printed
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1472259

Note, I bought a Titan Aero and printed the effector from the .STLs from ultibots github.

It'd just be easier if the extra 3mm was incorporated into the effector .STL..

UPDATE: See mhackey's post below. cutting a couple mm off the 12mm longer screw that holds the aero to the effector/motor works. Can use washers for the other 3 long screws. Depending on your washers, it might be tight for the upper screws. I just threaded a nut onto a fully threaded screw to act as a washer spacer.
Last edited by wesc on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

UltiBots

Re: Spacer required for Titan Aero

Post by UltiBots » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:01 am

A spacer is not needed. Use one or two M3 washers on the longer M3x35 screws.

Quick background... the effector was designed using E3D's Wantai motor that has 5mm deep mounting holes. E3D's newer slimline has 4mm deep holes which cause the M3x35 screws to bottom out in the slimline motors. The effector mount will be thickened on the next production run.
Brad - UltiBots LLC

mhackney

Post by mhackney » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:36 am

I GREATLY prefer using the correct length of screws. Or you can simply file or grind your existing screws down. TIP: thread a nut on the screw first, then grind to length and remove the nut. This cleans up the end threads nicely.
www.SublimeLayers.com - Musings and Experiments on the Art and Technology of 3D Printing

Support me and my work at Patreon and get early access to my upcoming book 3D Printing Strategies - the art of perfecting your designs and prints

stavrosg

Post by stavrosg » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:02 am

UltiBots wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:01 am
A spacer is not needed. Use one or two M3 washers on the longer M3x35 screws.

Quick background... the effector was designed using E3D's Wantai motor that has 5mm deep mounting holes. E3D's newer slimline has 4mm deep holes which cause the M3x35 screws to bottom out in the slimline motors. The effector mount will be thickened on the next production run.
Confirmed, 2 washers did the trick nicely.

wesc

Post by wesc » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:36 pm

I ended up dremeling off 2mm from the M3 x 12 screw (the first one that secures the aero body to the effector/motor.) and using washers for the rest.