Hotend ramming into print bed

Discuss print defects, artifacts, odd prints, weird results, and more...
maxchu765

Hotend ramming into print bed

Post by maxchu765 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:18 pm

I have a problem where the hotend will ram into the print bed. So far the problem seems to happen only on layer changes. As the printer finishes the layer and starts to move to start the next layer, the Y axis seems to be moving weirdly and not in sync with the axes. It seems to move down too much and too fast. I don't see any problems with the gcode. I was able to work around some of the problem areas by pausing the print right as the layer was finished, homing all the axes and then resuming the print. The problem occurred definitely during the layer changes between layer 20 and 24 and again later in the print, but I'm not sure when. I was able to get past layers 20-24 by pausing and resuming, but the print failed when the problem happened later when I wasn't watching it.

Video of crash

I believe the problem is occurring when the printer is moving from the blue circle in the top right corner to the top left corner. https://imgur.com/a/RG6nLqT

So far I have doubled checked the stepper wiring for bad connections, the carriages, and the pulleys. I have also sliced using KISSlicer and Slic3r, so I don't believe its a slicer issue. The carriages move smoothly and fall at the speed described in the build guide. I don't see anything wrong with any other part of the printer. Any ideas on what is going on?
Attachments
case main back v6-slic3r rect.zip
(9.37 MiB) Downloaded 5 times

UltiBots

Re: Hotend ramming into print bed

Post by UltiBots » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:35 am

You are printing to the edge of the print surface. This causes the steppers to move very quickly; possibly causing missed steps. Cut the speed in half and try again.
Brad - UltiBots LLC

maxchu765

Re: Hotend ramming into print bed

Post by maxchu765 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:38 pm

OK. That seems to have fixed it. Thanks