Counterspam measures

Grant
Site Admin

Counterspam measures

Post by Grant » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:11 pm

Hey bud,

Decided to use a few hard to answer (computer wise) questions for the anti spam measures. It's been a bit too easy recently and not sure why.

Let's see how this goes for a week or so.

G
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 3.11.24 PM.png

UltiBots

Re: Counterspam measures

Post by UltiBots » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:25 pm

Thanks for noticing! Thanks for host/managing the forum. It has been an enormous help in reducing personal support. Call any time to catch up. 772-257-1000. Stay warm and Merry Christmas.
Brad - UltiBots LLC

UltiBots

Post by UltiBots » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:17 am

Hope holidays were warm and great!

Spam went crazy just before Christmas. 50+ accounts in several days. I Disabled user registration to stop the madness. If you have a minute please call to discuss counter measures.
Brad - UltiBots LLC

Grant
Site Admin

Post by Grant » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:55 am

Hey,

I've learned in the mean time that having a 'custom field' that must be filled out during registration can go a long way to stopping the bots too.

So if you can think of a question, or an additional 'category' your users can define themselves by, this might help stop spam dead.

I'm getting consistently (every 20-30 sec) hits on my traffic to try and spam the board, so even though we look nice and quiet I'm still getting blasted on the network, so I'm looking to mitigate further...

G

UltiBots

Post by UltiBots » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:06 am

Wow on the constant hits to your server! Sorry this has become so involved.

I am OK to add a "custom field", but... how does this stop/slow attempts? Is the forum removed from bot lists because they know we implemented the extra step in registration?

What about... Who founded the RepRap project? Is this too easy? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RepRap_project.

On a side note, there are big changes for UltiBots coming this fall. If possible, call to discuss 772-257-1000. Typing is very slow for me.
Brad - UltiBots LLC

Grant
Site Admin

Post by Grant » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:21 am

Happy to call, it's been a heavy year so this and 3D Printing sadly haven't had the attention they truly deserve...

Doing the custom field is akin to the question/answer situation. You're forcing your users to fill in a section that bots don't have an answer for. With the Q&A they still know there's a question needing to be answered, so they can make guesses, or search google for the term within the realms of automation.

From the research I did there's other ways -- banning certain timezones, certain countries, IP ranges, etc... But at least for the sake of forum registrations, a mixture of Q&A and Custom Fields killed 90% of the spam for those complaining.

Will try and squeeze the call in today but we'd potentially be looking at later in the week.

p.s. This truly hasn't become 'involved' in any way. I'm doing regular maintenance of my server and just noticing these things -- they're par for the course, it's just bulletin board forums are the most susceptible to consistent attacks. C'est la vie! Knew this when giving you the option to carve out some space. No qualms, promise.

G

Grant
Site Admin

Post by Grant » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:30 am

p.s. The custom field wouldn't act as a question that needed a correct answer, just an additional piece of information specific to users of the forum that is necessary to fill out when registering.

What 3D Printer do you run? and this field will appear besides the user as they post. This can be changed by you and is something I think could benefit your users if they continue to grow.

Other options include;

1 - Set new registration as admin approved
2 - Set newly registered group up to '5' posts that require admin/mod approval. After which the user is 'Registered' and not 'Spam' or 'Inactive'.
3 - Hide the board from search crawlers
4 - Assign moderators to take care of all of this