Best Practices for Changing Filaments

CastleSeven

Best Practices for Changing Filaments

Post by CastleSeven » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:15 pm

What's the recommended process for changing filaments? Here's what I'm currently doing, just wanting to make sure I'm not completely off base:

1. Heat Extruder to 200*C
2. Run "Extract Filament" Macro
3. Snip the filament just above where it enters the extruder, and pull the rest out with pliers
4. Take off the idler assembly and feed in new filament
5. Replace idler assembly
6. Run a manual feed of filament until I see solid of the new color.

Thoughts?

caphector

Re: Best Practices for Changing Filaments

Post by caphector » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:56 pm

I heat up to 190-200, then retract until the filament exits the idler and snip off the end. That way I don't have to retension the idler each time.

CastleSeven

Post by CastleSeven » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:03 pm

That's what I'd like to avoid! I've found it difficult to a) get the old filament out and b) get the new filament in, with the idler installed

UltiBots

Post by UltiBots » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:08 am

At UltiBots, we typically heat the hotend (appropriate to the filament type), loosen the idler tension until just barely threaded, remove the filament, and hand feed new filament while pulling on the idler. Once filament starts to flow, we tighten the idler tension screws from approximately 12mm to 8mm.

Alternately and rarely we cut the filament flush with the top of the effector, extrude 5mm, then insert new filament and "follow feed" the new filament until it is past the drive gear teeth.

I both cases we purge print to get the new filament flowing nicely.
Brad - UltiBots LLC

dani

Post by dani » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:06 pm

my filament keeps getting jammed either in the hotend or in the extruder body when removing it, due to swelling. have any suggestions?

UltiBots

Post by UltiBots » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:46 pm

Try - cut filament flush with the top of the effector, extrude 5mm, then insert new filament and "follow feed" the new filament until it is past the drive gear teeth.
Brad - UltiBots LLC

dani

Post by dani » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:56 am

gotcha, sounds like a winner. i do like the cold-pull on my taz and rostock, but since i'm mostly running PLA these days, it's ok to just purge baby purge. and thanks for the quick reply!!!

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:56 am.