Current state of cooling

Lucidwolf

Current state of cooling

Post by Lucidwolf » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:57 am

Greetings,

I am curious if anyone else has experimented with the cooling on the Titan Aero?
Trying to get ideas as I wait on my blower fans in the snail mail.

I am trying to get my layer time down to less that 30 seconds while still having good overhang and reduced curling.
The goal is to get good quality printing at 100 mm/s without having to slow down layers to less than 30 seconds.

I have been working on different types of cooling setups for the Titan Aero that use the D300VS effector mount holes.
The goal is getting up to 100 mm/s in PLA and still reach a very good surface finish on the 50 deg leg on this model. (See Figure 1)
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:858835

This model is the baseline i started with, but maybe a better model would be appropriate.

The goal is to get a reasonable cooling profile such that I can print 1000 mm^2 layers in about 20 seconds without too much degradation due to curl.
In the current part you can see all overhangs are fine for the first layers because the base is causing the layer time to exceed 1 min.

My current vacuum cleaner attachments are ugly but slightly better than the stock "triceritops" cooler.
Attachments
Cooling_Figure1.png

garyd9

Re: Current state of cooling

Post by garyd9 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:14 pm

Are the models available for your different part cooling fan attempts?

Thanks
Gary

Lucidwolf

Post by Lucidwolf » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:37 pm

I uploaded the bracket I use to attach the Diii cooler since my cobbling the 40mm fan to it seemed to be the best design and gave access to the manual feed. Although now with a good hob i don't know how important that manual feed is anymore. I can respect the decision to cover it up. I think I wanted it because I had a problem and like Eric Cartman's guide to sales, "You can't have it", made me want it all the more. :lol:
(https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3154659)

I am still waiting on my 3 pack of 50mm fans to continue my research. One month and waiting... Dang you cheap EMS shipping.
I will then attempt cooling overload with more of a Fang type cooler where i hit it with a lot of air all around using blower type fans.

The following cooling advice was shroud doesn't mater airflow maters, which looks like the theory behind the D300VS with bondtech with the big un-ducted fans. (http://www.desiquintans.com/coolingtests)

But the latest route with the Ultibots is with the tusk like cooling which says more directed cooling on the filament is better.
Now the tusk has been replaced with the triceratops. So that is why I started this thread. Get more research before I try again.
If i slow down to 50mm/s then the stock fan and shroud does a good job because there is more time for it to cool. But who wants to slow down right?

I can try and hack a stl of my vacuum cleaner attachment if you really want it but I don't feel its that much better over stock since I still cant get it cooled fast enough to prevent curling on overhangs.

garyd9

Post by garyd9 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:21 am

I don't know if it'll help you or not, but sometimes the type of air you're cooling with also has impact. Try blowing a desk fan at the right side of the printer (assuming your part cooling fan feeds from the right side.) Keep in mind that there might be drawbacks to cooling too quickly.

On my enclosed printer, I had lots of curling issues with PLA and PETG overhangs unless I took the sides off the printer and blew cooler air "inside" the printer (not at the part being printed.) As best as I can figure out, the part cooling fan was only blowing hot air that radiated from the printed part and build plate, and it wasn't cooling the part quickly enough.

JKanouse

Post by JKanouse » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:25 pm

I'd love to test this out, but I have a volcano installed. Any chance you could extend your adapter to fit the volcano? I think it is 8.5mm longer than the stander e3dv6.

Lucidwolf

Post by Lucidwolf » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:46 am

Unfortunately 8.5mm puts the lower fastener in the same plane as the support web if mounting from the current attach point.
Good news a 8.5mm shim was easy to model. Just a cube and some holes.
The 8.5mm shim is on the thingiverse page. Put it between the bracket and the cooler. Will need longer screws.

JKanouse

Post by JKanouse » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:05 am

Thanks, I will look for it. I just ordered the fan, so hopefully I will have it up an running this weekend.

JKanouse

Post by JKanouse » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:47 pm

I have it up an running, and getting much better results than with what I was using.

Thanks a million!

Lucidwolf

Post by Lucidwolf » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:59 am

That's good to hear.
I am still waiting for my fans... so I have not been able to continue experimenting.