PG35L motor stops extruding

ccdanieldb

PG35L motor stops extruding

Post by ccdanieldb » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:48 pm

Hello All

I am getting extruder motor stall in my prints. To be specific after about 3 hours the PG35L motor stops extruding and I need to reboot the duet board. Extrusion is immediately restored after a reboot. I am sure the problem is my retraction speed (40mm/s). I also get stalling at (30mm/s). I am printing with PETG and I am wondering is there a way to get the faster retracting speed and still keep the PG35L reliable. Also upping the current to 750mA dose not seem to help. I was hoping an acceleration change my do the trick but I am not sure what to modify.

Update: I tried printing without retraction but had the same result. The extruder just stops after a few hours. I am not sure what the problem is, I have run not into this issue on smaller prints. But when I first received the printer the PG35L did not work due to the current being set to 250mA. But upping that to 500mA fixed that problem. I have also tried Cura, Slic3r and Slic3r pursa, all with the same result. Looking under Duet drive properties I found that max speed for motor 4 is limited to 60mm/s but has an acceleration of 1000mm/s2. I will change that to 120mm/s and 500mm/s2 respectfully and see what happens.

UpDate: Fixed, Upping the extruder max meter speed to 120mm/s seems to have done the trick. After doing some reading on Duet tool selection I think this has something to do with the tool (extruder T0) being dropped mid-print by the firmware when it is asked by the g-code to do something the firmware says it can't. But that is just a thought as I am unable to point at a precise point in the g-code that causes the tool to be dropped.