Creaky Pulleys

Kent

Creaky Pulleys

Post by Kent » Wed May 17, 2017 8:45 pm

After a good number of successful prints and a good number of unsuccessful prints, two of the three upper pulleys have started to make a creaking sound kind of like a hard drive seeking sound only louder. Any ideas on how to quiet down these pulleys?

Here's a recording of the sound.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/62m14715jpfyf ... y.mp3?dl=0

UltiBots

Re: Creaky Pulleys

Post by UltiBots » Thu May 18, 2017 7:48 am

Accurate description of your sound recording.

Things to try, remove bearings but keep track of their position. While they are removed, apply some light oil to the bearing side walls. When re-assembling the pulleys, flip the bearings on each pulley AND use less belt tension.

For 2+ years we have been shipping metal frame corners. We are concerned that really tight belts may contribute to premature wear. We recently changed the belt tensioning method. Please describe the method you used.
Brad - UltiBots LLC

Kent

Post by Kent » Fri May 19, 2017 11:36 pm

Thanks, that helped a lot. I setup the belt tension using the easy tension app as suggested in the build guide. Before removing the belts I gave it one more test and got readings in the 37-38hz range. When reassembling I left it a little looser. It also seemed like there was a little more discoloration on one side of the bearing and pulley than the other. I wonder if the belts were slightly out of alignment causing some uneven wear too.

AndyS

Post by AndyS » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:45 pm

Any update on this??

I'm having the same issue and it appears to be getting worse. I'm concerned that the bearings are failing or the pulley is wearing. I have not pulled them off the frame to look at. FYI, I also used the tension meter to set the belt tension so I don't think over-tightened belts should be the issue.

UltiBots

Post by UltiBots » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:59 am

Hi All - We are not sure this is the cause of creaky pulleys but we are aware of some pulleys that are a little too long when assembled. The result is axial compression. The assembly (bearing-pulley-bearing) should measure < 35mm. See the following post viewtopic.php?f=21&t=239 to modify your pulley. Filing the pulley along with soaking the bearings in light oil periodically eliminates creaking.
Brad - UltiBots LLC

snomon

Post by snomon » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:47 am

I had creaky pulleys for a bit so I put the bearings in 3-in-1 oil overnight and they haven't creaked since

gilligone

Post by gilligone » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:51 pm

These creaking pulleys are driving me nuts. Could I just rub on some white lithium grease or do I need to buy some oil to soak these bearings in?

UltiBots

Post by UltiBots » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:58 pm

We are not aware of anyone using white lithium grease. Git it a try? Or soak bearings in 3 in 1 multi purpose oil or similar.
Brad - UltiBots LLC

AndyS

Post by AndyS » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:25 pm

I just used some teflon based oil lube. Just put a dab on the bearings while the printer is printing and it will work it way in and stop the squeaking. Wipe any excess!

ofloveandhate

Post by ofloveandhate » Fri May 11, 2018 4:27 pm

i lubed my bearings with teflon spray lube, and it didn't last very long -- maybe 1-1.5 weeks before the creaking came back. going to try something else, based on the lubes i have at home. glad this thread was here -- found it by forum searching for "bearings".

looking at the linked thread, and above, i wonder if i axially compressed the bearings. i measured my assembly, and it's at 35.06mm, just above the spec mentioned of 35, and during assembly of the machine, i noted how the plate holding the bearing in compressed the bearing, so i kept it looser than tight. tons of black powdery stuff on the bearings as i disassembled them, both this time and last time. i also lost track of the orientation of the bearings... didn't think about it.

i'd love to start with a fresh set of pulley assemblies, if i could. failing that, i will file down my pulleys, and re-lube.

still loving my d300vs. it's amazing.