Crashing during calibration after replacing hotend

Discuss build tips, tricks, and feedback...
icecats

Crashing during calibration after replacing hotend

Post by icecats » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:06 am

Hello,
I recently installed a new hot end on my Ultibots K-250 printer. The hot end is a bit longer than the old one. I started to manually relevel the bed but the extruder keeps crashing, seemingly regardless of the M666 values that I enter. Additionally, I don't have an autocalibration setup. Do I need to change the height in the firmware or something? I have linked to some pictures of the extruder, electronics, and motor plates. I am not sure how to pull the config file.
Thanks,
icecats

Pictures: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15enr2C ... sp=sharing

UltiBots

Re: Crashing during calibration after replacing hotend

Post by UltiBots » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:26 am

Wow... you have one of our first Deltas that used Arduino/RAMPS. At the time, Smoothieware, Duets and FSR calibration didn't exist. Changing Marlin Firmware for the new hotend is VERY involved. If I was with the printer, I believe it would take me 4 hours or longer to get it running again. I highly recommend upgrading to a Duet controller with FSR calibration. Going from 8 bit to 32 bit with a web interface is a game changer. Better prints and easier control! Please email support@ultibots.com or call 772-257-one thousand to discuss further.
Brad - UltiBots LLC

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:31 pm

Hello,
I would like to modify the firmware for the Arduino/RAMPS board, even if it takes some time. I found the old firmware packages on Github and attempted to modify them. However, I could not get anything to compile (before or after modifications). I am using Arduino 1.8.5. The errors include X_MIN_PIN redefinitions (the same goes for Y and Z) as well as this error:
error: using typedef-name 'fpos_t' after 'struct
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
icecats

UltiBots

Post by UltiBots » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:20 am

I recall using arduino IDE 1.0.6. Later IDEs don't work with the Marlin versions found in our ZIPs.

Newer Marlin firmware might have better Delta kinematics and support. If you decide to try them you will need to carefully compare the config files and copy the relevant settings.

Lastly, you mentioned a new hotend... you will probably need to change/adjust the thermistor selected in the config.
Brad - UltiBots LLC

icecats

Post by icecats » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:53 pm

Success!
I downloaded the latest version of Marlin and modified the parameters; my printer is up and running again. For anyone else needing this, I have attached a copy of the firmware. The new firmware version is compatible with the latest Arduino software. You may need to adjust some parameters for your machine (i.e.- DELTA_HEIGHT because I am using an E3D hotend).
Thanks for the help,
icecats
Attachments
Marlin-1.1.x.zip
(2.61 MiB) Downloaded 13 times

UltiBots

Post by UltiBots » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:36 am

Great news! And thanks for sharing :)
Brad - UltiBots LLC